The AED surgery shadowing program is an exclusive partnership between AED and UW Hospital which allows active AED members (50 points) to connect with and shadow surgeons in the operating rooms of UW Hospital, a privilege only given to AED members.
The program began in September 2013 through the efforts of Dr. Michael Garren, Patrick Carney, and Kayla Leibl, and has expanded since then.
1) To get started with the program, first confirm you are an active member. The program is open to all AED members who have achieved active status (50 points) for two semesters previous, or have achieved Gold Member status (60 points) one semester previous. The program can only be done for one three month period, so we recommend participating during your sophomore or junior year.
2) Once you have confirmed your active status, email Jack Shireman at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will connect you with relevant personnel, who will send you a list of surgeons to shadow.
3) Pick ONE SURGEON to email about shadowing. Only email one surgeon at a time, and give them ample time to respond. Don’t be afraid to send a reminder email after 4-5 days.
4) Once you have filled out the appropriate paperwork, you can shadow your surgeon as much as they will allow for a 6-month period! Always be in communication with your surgeon, and remember to be respectful of their wishes. Remember, this program is a unique privilege, so represent AED well!
5) Once your 3-month window has ended, stay in contact with your surgeon! While the program is currently limited to one 6-month period, the doctors may allow you to shadow them in clinic and may agree to write you a letter of recommendation.