Spring 2017 Meeting Schedule:
Tues 4/11, 6-7pm Social Sciences 5206, Speakers from Kaplan and Wayne State Medical School
- Our Kaplan representative will come speak about the options for Kaplan MCAT prep, as well as the offers to AED through our partnership. A Wayne State Medical School recruiter will also come to tell us about their medical school specifically as well as speak about scholarship opportunities through the Army and other funding options for your medical education.
Tues 4/25 6-7pm Social Sciences 5206, Officer Elections
- More details to come on how elections will run for next year’s AED Officer Board. See the website page “Officer Job Descriptions” for info on each position.
Tues 3/28, 6-7pm Social Sciences 5206, Speaker UWSMPH Admissions Counselor
- Come hear from an Admissions counselor at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. She will share insights and tips and tricks for applying to medical school, so be sure to attend!
Tues 3/7, 6-7pm Social Sciences 5206, Election Process Overview
- We are restructuring our officer board, so be sure to come listen to the new officer positions and hear how elections will run this April!
Tues 2/21, 6-7pm Social Sciences 5206, Speaker Dr. Bill Kinsey
- Dr. Kinsey is the Director of Medical Services for UHS and will be speaking on his alternative route to medical school, initially getting a Masters in physical therapy. He graduated from undergrad at UW-Madison, medical school at University of Vermont, and did his residency here at UW.
Tues 2/7, 6-7pm Social Sciences 5206, Speaker Dr. Mike Kloess
- Dr. Mike is the Executive Director of Our Lady of Hope Clinic. He specializes in primary care and women’s health, and will be speaking about his unique no insurance model of his clinic. He’ll also tell us about his experience as a physician working with the underserved and the importance of the patient-doctor relationship.
Tues 1/24, 6-7pm Social Sciences 5206, Speaker Dr. Oakes (PharmTox) & Rachel Cooper
- Dr. Oakes will introduce the Pharmacology and Toxicology major, a unique opportunity for pre-med students for the first 10 minutes of our meeting. Then Rachel Cooper will present to us about the opioid epidemic affecting many communities around the country. We will learn how to identify an opiate overdose as well as be trained on how to administer the legal antidote narcan. This meeting will help us be on the leading front of a national problem, so come listen to learn more!
Fall 2016 Meeting Schedule:
Tues 12/13, 6-7pm Location 5206 Social Sciences, Speaker Dr. Ryan Wubben–Medflight Director
- Dr. Ryan Wubben, a professor of emergency medicine at the UWSMPH and the director of the UW Medflight program, will be speaking to us about what the Medflight program is and what makes it unique to the state. He will also answer questions about emergency medicine in general and what the profession has evolved into.
Tues 11/15, 6-7pm Location 5206 Social Sciences, Speaker Dr. Sondel-Pediatric Oncologist
- Dr. Sondel is a Pediatric Oncologist at UWHealth and the PI of a cancer immunotherapy research lab. He completed his undergraduate and graduate studies at UW Madison and has a Ph.D. in Genetics. He graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1977 and completed his pediatric residency at the Universities of Minnesota and Wisconsin. He has served as leader of the UW Carbone Cancer Center’s Program in Immunology and Immunotherapy and also as Head of the Division of Pediatric Oncology. Furthermore, he has been recognized as one of the best doctors in America for three years in a row. In his presentation, he will talk about “work as a physician scientist, and the complex paths one’s work and career can take between pre-med years and finding your ‘niche’” – Dr. Sondel
Tues 11/29, 6-7pm Location 5206 Social Sciences, Dr. Ryan Hatchell-Pediatrician
- As a Wisconsin alum for both undergrad and medical school, he has gone on to become a pediatrician for a Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin clinic. At this meeting he will talk to us about his journey at Madison and his daily life as a pediatrician.
Tues 11/1, 6-pm Location 5206 Social Sciences, MCAT and Admissions Presentation
- Come listen to some MCAT tips and tricks from your board members, as well as hear about the application process to medical school and an Admissions presentation.
Tues 10/18, 6-7pm Location 5206 Social Sciences, Speaker Dr. Duello
- Dr. Duello will speak about being a unique applicant to medical school, providing insider tips on the application process. She will also be able to answer any questions you might have!
Tues 10/4, 6-7pm Location 5206 Social Sciences
- Tuesday’s meeting will be full of unique opportunities to get you involved early on in the year! From medical Spanish classes to CNA experiences, come hear about ways to start out the year on the right track for pre-med. See you there!
Tues 9/20, 6-7pm Ingraham 19 Kickoff Informational Meeting
- Come learn about AED Pre-Medical Honor Society as we introduce who we are and what we do. Meet your executive board and hear about all the fun events we have planned for the upcoming semester. Plus: FREE Greenbush donuts!
Spring 2016 Meeting Schedule:
Tuesday, Feb 16, 6-7pm, Location: Social Sciences 6210, Speaker: John Marimuthu, Assistant Director for St. Georges School of Medicine in Grenada
Tuesday, March 1, 6-7pm, Location: Van Vleck B102, Speaker: Dr. Jarrard, Professor Urologic Surgery-UWSMPH, “Combining Surgery, Teaching, and Research in a Medical Career”
Tuesday, March 15, 6-7pm, Location: Social Sciences 6210, Speaker: Emily Kurtz, Kaplan Student Ambassador; AED Officers – Gap Year Information
Tuesday, April 5, 6-7pm, Location: Ingraham B10, Speaker: AED Officers – Info on MCAT and Medical School Application process
Tuesday, April 19, 6-7pm, Location: Van Vleck B102, Speaker: Dr. Michael Kim, Pediatric Emergency Medicine Specialist
Tuesday, May 3, 6-7pm, Location: Ingraham B10, Elections for AED Board